Haven’t done one of these posts in a while. And given the fact the airways are about to be flooded with weight-loss dreck, I thought I’d get in there early with some holiday stuff that weighs more than me.
I always laughed when I heard that line in The Night Before Christmas that described a miniature sleigh and 8 tiny reindeer. Look, I understand that the poet is seeing the sleigh and team from a distance, and that there’s some poetic license at work here. But there is nothing small about a sleigh able to carry presents for the entire world on it. And reindeer are anything but diminutive.
Actually reindeer are really super cool. Here’s a couple of cool reindeer facts:
1. They have specially developed noses with lots more surface area to warm the cool winter air as it enters their bodies.
2. Several species have “trick knees” that click when they walk.
3. Reindeer are the ultimate in long-distance runners. Some species are known to travel over 3,000 miles in a single year. On average in the migration season they travel 10 to 30 miles per day. They can run at speeds of up to 50 miles per hour and can even swim at 4-6 miles per hour. Once they learn to cycle, they will be eligible for “Iron-deer”(TM) status.
4. Reindeer are thought to be the only mammals that can see ultraviolet light.
In short all reindeer (not just Santa’s) have super powers! And they are not diminutive. Let’s look at the stats:
Mature Male Reindeer pulling Santa’s Sleigh (8)
Juvenile Male Reindeer (with glowing shnozz) pulling Santa’s Sleigh
Juvenile Male Reindeer:
- Length: 65-80 Inches
- Shoulder Height: 40-50 inches
- Weight: 200-250 pounds
Mature Male Reindeer:
- Length: 71-84 Inches
- Shoulder Height: 50-60 inches
- Weight: up to 700 pounds
Santa’s Sleigh Team Total Weight: 5850 pounds
Conclusion: Stanta’s Sleigh Team Weighs More than Me
Hope you are having a wonderful time with everybody you love!
Jeanette DePatie (AKA The Fat Chick)
P.S. Want to make sure you don’t miss a minute of the fun? Click that follow button up there!
P.S.S. Want to be a part of the merry making and get free stuff? Join my list HERE!